top of page

You May Not Want To Trust USPS With Important Immigration Documents . . .

Updated: Aug 2, 2023

USPS has been losing Green Cards, Work Authorization Cards, and even Wedding Rings!

Regrettably, this is currently the sad state of the U.S. Postal Service. When these important items are lost in the mail, it takes a lot of time and energy to have them replaced, and it could get both stressful and expensive. (Plus, dealing with USPS is no picnic). If an original "Change of Status Approval" is lost in the mail, you would need to fork over $465 of your hard earned money to U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services. Ouch! If you're changing status to enroll at a university, some of them, like University of Texas, will require you to pay for a replacement original notice, even though the photocopy is perfectly acceptable. Meanwhile, the fee to replace a lost I-551 ("Green Card") is $455. One of the benefits of hiring a lawyer is that you can have these important documents mailed to your lawyer instead. (In addition, simply checking the wrong box on a USCIS form that you fill out on your own can result in you being charged one of the above mentioned fees at a later date. That happens more than you think!) Many law firms now exclusively use Fedex/UPS instead of the next day service from the Postal Service, which is anything but "next day", and while you're entitled to a refund, you'll have to spend some time filling out paperwork in-person at the post office and providing your photo ID. In summary, don't trust the U.S. postal service with your important immigration documents or your wedding rings (see link to news story: ).

Photo by Mathyas Kurmann on Unsplash

Mail boxes lined on a wooden ledge among some greenery


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page